The town of Franklinton grew and flourished during the 1900s due to the Sterling Cotton Mill, and the owner of the mill built the school as a gift to the town in 1923. Over almost 100 years, the building has housed K-12 all in one building, a middle/high school, and then only high school until 2011. The building underwent extensive renovations and re-opened as a middle school in 2013.
The school continues to grow and evolve into a community school of choice. We house the Boys and Girls Club, which allows students a safe after-school experience, as well as a community STEAM lab, where students can interact with state-of-the-art equipment and technology. We continue to work with the community to increase what we can offer to all of our students.
We are dedicated to caring for the whole child along with the whole family. Our small size allows us to know and care for each child, each teacher, and each other as we work together to create a safe and stable environment where all people can learn and grow.
Click here to view our NC Report Card
- All children, regardless of race, ethnicity, socio-economic circumstances, or cognitive level, can grow and achieve.
- Strong professional learning communities that work together to share best practices and high-quality materials and resources can reduce achievement gaps and raise growth levels for all students.
- Forging a strong collaborative relationship between the school, the parents, and the community is crucial in achieving a well-rounded and balanced education that addresses each student’s needs.
- A learning environment based on trust, integrity, and commitment is vital for student success.
- Discipline, safety, and accountability are an important part of developing a school culture that reflects intellectual, emotional, and social stability.
School Improvement Plan
Here is the link to the FMS School Improvement Plan:
School Improvement Team Members:
Heidi Boardman - Principal
Jennifer Giandenoto - Assistant Principal
Jerri Terry - Digital Literacy Coach
Mary Gilbert - Counselor
Kim Faulkner - Digital Literacy Facilitator
Nadine Head - Science 8 Teacher
David Downum - Social Studies 8 Teacher
Sherry Brackett - Science 7 Teacher
Litisha Jenkins - Math 7 Teacher
Sarah Downum - Science 6 Teacher
School Improvement Meeting Dates:
December - No meeting due to holiday schedule.